How To Choose A Roofing Contractor
July 2009 Volume 1 Number 7
The purchase of a new roof system is an important decision and should be treated as an investment. Before you spend that hard earned money, spend a little time learning how to evaluate roofing contractors. First and foremost, insist on working with a professional roofing contractor. The following guidelines can help you select a professional:
- Check for a permanent place of business, telephone number and tax identification number.
- Ask for proof of insurance. Insist on seeing copies of liability coverage and workers’ compensation certificates.
- Check to see if the contractor is properly licensed.
- Make sure the contractor is financially stable. A professional roofing contractor can provide current financial information about his company.
- Look for a proven track record along with client references and a list of completed projects. Make sure that the contractor has successfully completed projects similar in size, scope and dollar value as your project.
- Call some people on the client list to find out if they are satisfied.
- Insist on a detailed, written proposal, with complete descriptions of the work, job specifications and payment terms.
- Have the contractor explain his project supervision and quality-control procedures.
- Carefully read and understand any roofing warranties offered and watch for provisions that would void it.
- Choose a company committed to worker safety and education. Does he have a written safety program?
- Have the contractor list the roofing manufacturers with which his firm is a licensed or approved applicator.
- Require a letter from the chosen manufacturer that states this contractor is approved, can receive a warranty and that the manufacturer has looked at the project, specifications, details and approves it’s application.
- Keep a healthy skepticism about the lowest bid. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Remember, price is only one of the criteria for selecting a roofing contractor. “Cheapest is not always least expensive.” Professionalism, experience and quality workmanship should weigh heavily in your decision
For a professional contractor that exceeds these criteria, call Spann Roofing & Sheet Metal, Inc., your full service roofing contractor.
For additional information on roofing products, specification and news check these helpful websites:
www.nrca.net www.crsmca.org www.spri.org www.rci-online.org www.coolroofs.org www.ricowi.com www.tileroofing.org www.asphaltroofing.org www.fmglobal.com www.astm.org
Spann Roofing & Sheet Metal, Inc. offers a vast array roof services to meet your needs like:
New Construction • Reroofing • Renovation Inspections • Maintenance • Repairs
And superior products you can trust like:
Modified Bitumen • BUR • Single Ply Coatings • Metal • Tile • Shingles
459 Allied Dr. • Conway, S.C. 29526 • 843-347-2220 • Fax: 843-347-9719 www.spannroofing.com